Stand Up Paddling is great exercise and you can use up quite a bit of energy during a session, therefore after completing our tours hungry participants are treated to a tasty healthy snack. Tammy’s homemade gluten and sugar free banana bread is a great hit with paddlers and we have had several requests for the recipe. So here it is:
HEALTHY BANANA BREAD
- 300g smashed ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 60g olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb soda) + 1 tbsp lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 200g almond meal
- 25g ground flaxseed
- Preheat your oven to 160 C
- Smash the bananas in a mixing bowl with a fork
- Mix in the honey, olive oil, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, bicarb and lime (the lime activates the bicarb)
- Add the almond meal and ground flaxseed and mix well
- Prepare your loaf tin (I line mine with greaseproof paper, so it lifts out easily and doesn’t stick to the sides)
- Spoon the batter into the tin and bake for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out of the loaf tin
- Options: Sometimes I add a handful of chopped walnuts and raisins into the mix at the end. You can also decorate the top of the loaf with sliced banana, or a handful of walnuts or pumpkin seeds. Or if you want a chocolate version – just add a little raw cacao powder into the mix. If your bananas are ripe and sweet you don’t have to add much honey.
- If you want to make an egg-free version you can use ground flaxseed as an egg substitute. 1 egg = 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed + cold water. Mix together and leave in the fridge for around 10 minutes before adding to the mix.
Recipe source: Teresa Cutter’s Gluten-Free Banana Bread (http://ironmumkarla.com.au/2014/07/teresa-cutters-gluten-free-banana-bread-green-smoothie.html).